Don’t miss a beat with this easy to make tiny crochet heart for kids!
If you’re looking for a unique activity to do with your children, why not try their hands (and yours) at crochet?
Crochet is a rewarding craft that can provide creators of all ages with lifelong skills. Crocheting teaches things like patience, dexterity, and problem-solving. It can also build self-esteem, provide a sense of accomplishment, and sharpen fine motor skills. Kids and adults can both benefit from crochet in so many ways.
Begin crocheting with little ones by working on a beginner-friendly heart. This little heart is made from basic crochet stitches, so it is really easy to work up. The directions below include everything you will need to crochet a tiny heart, as well as the instructions for how to make all of the stitches that are required. This crochet pattern will walk you and your children through the simple steps of crocheting their very own tiny heart.
Follow the pattern below to make an easy tiny crochet heart!
How To Make a Tiny Crochet Heart
- Worsted Weight Yarn
- Crochet Hook – Size J (6mm)
- Tapestry or Yarn Needle
Stitch Instructions for this Tiny Crochet Heart:
Magic Ring (mr)
- Hold the end of the yarn with your pointer finger and thumb.
- Wrap yarn around three fingers to form an X on top of your hand.
- Holding the working yarn (skein end of the yarn) between pinky and ring finger, use the crochet hook to go under the front strand, pull the back strand through, and twist the hook toward you.
- Grab the working yarn (back strand) and make a chain stitch to secure the ring.
- Holding the chain stitch, remove your fingers, and wallah! Check out your magic ring!
Double Crochet (dc) in Magic Ring
- Yarn over the hook. Insert the hook into the magic ring, yarn over again and pull up a loop.
- Yarn over and pull through two loops on the hook.
- Yarn over again and pull through both loops on the hook.
Chain Stitch (ch)
- Yarn over the hook and draw the yarn through the loop that’s already on the hook.
Treble Crochet (tc)
- Yarn over twice. Insert the hook into the magic ring, yarn over, and pull up a loop.
- Yarn over and pull through the first two loops on the hook.
- Yarn over again and pull through the next two loops on the hook.
- Yarn over again and pull through the last two loops on the hook.
Slip Stitch (ss)
- Insert the hook into the magic ring, yarn over, and pull through both the ring and the loop on the hook.
Tiny Crochet Heart Pattern:
- Make a magic ring, leaving a few inches of tail.
- Work 2 chain stitches.
- Work 5 double crochet stitches (dc) in the magic ring, keeping the magic ring loose.
- Work 1 treble crochet (tc) in the magic ring.
- Work 6 double crochet (dc) through the ring.
- Work a slip stitch (ss) in the magic ring.
- Fasten off by pulling up a few inches of the yarn through the ss, and cut yarn from skein.
- Pull the magic circle tail end tight to close the circle, and form the heart.
- Tie both ends in a knot to secure.
- Using a tapestry needle, weave in the ends on the back of the heart, and snip extra yarn.
- Yay! Your tiny crochet heart is complete!
Enjoy Your Crochet Heart
This cute crochet heart can turn any project into a one-of-a-kind piece of art. Use crochet hearts to make a decorative garland, attach to a key ring, or even embellish a piece of clothing with them. Make jewelry or magnets with colorful crochet hearts. There are so many creations that can be made from a tiny crochet heart or two! Because we know you can’t heart-ly wait to start making these fabulous crochet hearts for kids, we’ll stop writing and let you get started!
Have fun crocheting!